TIJANA ŽUNIĆ MARIĆ
Attorney at Law | Partner
- LL.M University of Cambridge: Master of Commercial Law
- LL.M University of Novi Sad: Master of International Law
- LL.M University of Luxembourg: Master of EU Law
- LL.B University of Novi Sad: Graduated Lawyer
Awards and Scholarships:
- 2023 Who’s Who Legal: Global Leader in the field of Information Technology, “Data:2023” Guide
- 2023 Who’s Who Legal: Global Leader in the field of Data Privacy & Protection, “Data:2023” Guide
- 2022 Who’s Who Legal: “Thought Leader – Data 2022” in the field of Data Privacy & Protection
- 2022 Who’s Who Legal: Global Leader in the field of Data Privacy & Protection, “Data:2022” Guide
- 2021 Who’s Who Legal: “Thought Leader – Data 2021” in the field of Data Privacy & Protection
- 2021 Who’s Who Legal: Global Leader in the field of Data Privacy & Protection, “Data:2021” Guide
- 2020 Who’s Who Legal: Global Leader in the field of Data Privacy & Protection, “Data:2020” Guide
- 2014 Bar of England and Wales (scholarship provided by the Honorable Society of Inner Temple, Pegasus Trust)
- 2013 University of Cambridge Scholar (scholarship provided by OSF and Cambridge Overseas Trust)
- 2011 Excellence Award by the University of Novi Sad (among the top 1% of the class)
- 2009 EFG Bank Scholarship for 100 best students in Serbia
- 2015 – 2018 Secretary of the Belgrade Arbitration Center
- 2015 Founder of IT start-up iQdemic
- 2014 London Barristers’ Chambers: Brick Court, South Square and Monckton Chambers
- 2011 Admitted to the Bar Association of Serbia and to the Bar Association of Vojvodina
Tijana Žunić Marić is an Attorney at Law and a Partner at Zunic Law Firm in Novi Sad. She is a member of the Bar Association of Vojvodina.
Tijana specialized in Information Technology Law and Data Protection Law while studying at the University of Cambridge and while working at leading London barristers’ chambers: Brick Court, Monckton Chambers, and South Square, by shadowing some of the prominent English barristers. Apart from IT Law and Data Protection, her expertise includes Intellectual Property Law and Labor & Employment Law.
Her client list includes multinational IT companies with a presence in Serbia, as well as some of the largest national IT companies which have become leaders on the global market in their sector. Apart from the technology companies, she advises companies committed to digitalization, with a particular focus on e-commerce.
Tijana represents clients in legal matters regarding software development agreements, software licensing, technology joint-venture agreements, outsourcing agreements, confidentiality, and trade secrets. She also advises on complex Labor & Employment Law matters with a cross-border perspective.
As an attorney cooperating with the NGO “Pištaljka” in the field of whistle-blower protection, she has advised and participated in several whistle-blowers’ cases known to the public and the media. Likewise, as Zunic Law Firm has an outstanding record in Labor & Employment class actions, she had a leading role in defending clients in hundreds of workplace-related disputes. In one of the disputes that raised public interest, Zunic Law Firm had major success in proving that Nis Gazprom Neft had forced void provisions against employees, as well as that the same company has unlawfully profited from its employees regarding 2011 annual bonuses.
Tijana is a regular guest writer to renowned legal platforms such as OneTrust DataGuidance (on the topic of monitoring of employees), SCL (on various topics in the field of IT Law), and IAPP (on the topic of personal data protection).
She has been recognized by Who’s Who Legal, the leading global organization for the independent ranking of law firms, as a Global Leader in the field of Data Protection in its global guide “Data: 2020”. Tijana has received the same title from WWL for the Data: 2021 ranking. She was also recognized by WWL as a Thought Leader Data 2021 in the field of Data Protection. Who’s Who Legal recognized Tijana Žunić Marić yet again as a Global Leader in the field of Data Privacy & Protection in their updated “Data: 2022” global guide, and in the same year, as a Thought Leader Data 2022 in the mentioned field. Subsequently, in 2023, Tijana was ranked as a Global Leader in two areas, Information Technology and Data Privacy & Protection in Who’s Who Legal’s updated “Data: 2023” global guide.
From 2015 to 2018 Tijana Žunić Marić held the position of the Secretary-General of the Belgrade Arbitration Center (BAC), a permanent arbitral institution that administers domestic and foreign disputes which is within the auspices of the Serbian Arbitration Association.
She obtained her Bachelor’s Law degree at the University of Novi Sad graduating at 1% top of the class and among the 100 best students in Serbia, based on which she was presented with the University Excellence Award. She completed LL.M. studies at the University of Novi Sad (summa cum laude), the University of Luxembourg (cum laude), and the University of Cambridge (cum laude). While studying at Cambridge she was a scholar of Cambridge Overseas Trust and Open Society Foundation. As an excellent student, she was also selected as a Pegasus Trust Scholar, a scholarship provided by the Honorable Society of Inner Temple, Bar of England and Wales.
During her education, Tijana participated in various law competitions, such as the Regional Human Rights Moot Court Competition before the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) and the Moot Court National Competition in International Humanitarian Law. She was also a member of the team representing Serbia in a case before the ECHR, as well as an associate attorney of the Lawyers’ Committee of Human Rights.
Tijana speaks Serbian (native), English and French.