If planning to stay in Serbia for more than 90 days, a foreigner should apply for a temporary residence in Serbia. If granted, the residence permit will be issued for a period from 90 days to a year, depending on each individual case. With the request for the temporary residence permit, they need to submit a valid travel document and the following proof that:
- They have sufficient funds to sustain themselves
- They have a valid health insurance
- Purpose of the temporary residence is justified
Reasons which make the purpose of the residence permit justified and due to which temporary residence can be granted are exhaustively listed by the Law. Those are either:
- Work, employment or conducting business and other professional activities
- Going to school, studying or doing residency, scientific work, research, internship, participation in programmes of international exchange
- Family joining
- Other justified reasons in accordance with the Law and international treaties.
A foreigner who was granted temporary residence out of listed reasons is obliged to stay in the Republic of Serbia in accordance with the purpose for which the residence permit was granted. Approval of temporary residence is marked in the passport. A foreigner can submit a request in order to prolong the temporary residence no more than 30 days before the temporary residence permit expire . Temporary residence terminates after the expiration date, if the residence permit was cancelled, or if the state exercises measures of protection or expulsion towards a foreigner.